Monday, February 21, 2011

Prayer of A True Confessionist...

While reading St. Augustine, I struggled to come up with an idea to write about in this first blog. I knew for sure that I definitely did not want to have that typical blog that only talks about the subject through a bland literary post. I thought, “Why not spice it up and do a confession prayer like St Augustine, but in my own words?”  I only truly understood his concepts when I wrote this prayer for this blog. I feel as if I have come closer to view the window of St. Augustine’s soul through this prayer. I hope you enjoy this!  

Most gracious and heavenly Father, I come to you in the name of Jesus. First and foremost, I come thanking you for all that you have done and continue to do for me. You have always answered my prayers even when I felt that I did not deserve your answers. My soul has yearned for you when my flesh lead me into temptation. My flesh has longed for you when my thoughts were not of you. For “when my soul was withdrawn from thee, a mighty burden of misery weighed me down (Book 4.7).” “Your love is better than life itself (Psalm 63:62).” In knowing this, I confess my deepest and darkest sins to you. I hope through this, I can find rest within the shadow of your wings, for “[my] heart is restless until it rests in you (Book 1.1).” Grant me the ability to seek righteousness and not sin. Help me to call upon you, for there have been times when I did not know you, and instead of calling upon you, I have relied on earthly entities to heal my mind, body, and spirit. “Lord let me seek you by calling upon you, and let me call upon you by believing in you, for you have [now] been preached to [me] (Book 1.1).” Have mercy Lord, on those who have failed to seek your love in this lifetime and those who have not been preached to about your never ending love and compassion, for they will continually be restless in their becoming without your never changing omnipresence, the great I Am. And now Lord, fill the cracks of my corrupted soul with purity, for you are the Incorruptible Good that has made me in an image of your Being.

Amen

1 comment: