Monday, February 7, 2011

Philosophy in Children

I have noticed that once we have reached a certain academic level, our classes stop asking us to ask the question "why?" My whole thought process has been based on facts and memorization skills, so now when I am forced to ask myself "why?' in my studies or in my life, I kind of come to a standstill. After elementary school, telos meant nothing to me, though I'm positive that I did not know what telos meant until I began to study Philosophy1313. (Telos answers the question "why").

Children seem to be more receptive to Aristotle's thoughts on asking "why?" to find out what the true purpose of something is. Children would constantly question you on why you are doing a certain activity until you do not have an answer to their question. I remember plenty of times when I was younger I would ask my mom or my dad "why?" to everything they did, and I am sure you may have had similar conversations. A conversation that may a little like this:

Mom: (In the kitchen making lunch for you for school)
Child: Why are you making lunch mom?
Mom: So you can  be full and have energy for the rest of the day
Child: Why do I need energy mommy?
Mom: So that you can pay attention in school
Child: Why do I need to do that?
Mom: So you can get good grades throughout the school years
Child: Why?
Mom: So you can go to a good college and get a good job
Child: Why do I need all of that?
Mom: To live a "happy life"

This conversation relates to Aristotle's philosophical thought about an "action" leading to "good." These actions are not always a selfish indulgence. The example above better exemplifies an action that aims to a non-selfish good because the mother's "action/ purpose" aims to better her child's life in the long run. Also, this conversation embodies Aristotle's concept that there cannot be an answers of infinity to the question "why?" The mother, in the conversation, came to a final telos when she said, "To live a happy life." Aristotle believes that everyone's aim in life is to end in a truly happy life. This so-called "happy life" consists of being blessed, well-off, and/or  flourishing, so the child in this conversation will have a happy life according to Aristotle. Why does this child end up with the "happy life," because a good college education that leads to a good job will able the child to have a well-off life.


                    

1 comment:

  1. My 2 year old daughter is just starting to ask the unending series of "why" questions.

    ReplyDelete