Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Songs of a Vampire

The famous Twilight Saga book series turned movie has an amazing soundtrack. Paramore's song, "Decode" is one of the many songs on the ending credits of the first Twilight move. This song depicts an image that Descartes is trying to explain to his readers that it is easier to believe that our minds and souls exist rather than believing that the physical world exists. On page 17 in Descartes: Meditations on First Philosophy, he says that, "... there is a deceiver of supreme power and cunning who is deliberately and constantly deceiving me." (The "supreme power" can be depicted as the "vampire") This quote goes hand in hand with the first verse in the song "Decode," "How can I decide what's right? When you're clouding up my mind." Also, Descartes goes on to say, "I too undoubtedly exist, if he is deceiving me; and let him deceive me as much as he can, he will never bring it about that I am nothing so long as I think that I am something (pg. 17)." Descartes is trying to explain that though this "supreme power" may try to deceive him anyway possible, it cannot because he believes that he is something, and believing that what he is definitely exists in his mind. In the song "Decode," the first verse goes goes on to say, "I can't win your losing fight all the time. How can I ever own what's mine when you're always taking sides. But you wont take away my pride. No, not this time." This part of the verse further goes on to explain what Descartes meant in his quote stated above as well as "I am, I exist (pg 17). Moreover, when Descartes says, "I am, I exist" and "let him deceive me as much as he can," it is kind of like saying that something may change physically but what you think will always be real. This can be better said through the "Decode" lyrics, "My thoughts you can't decode."

No comments:

Post a Comment