Wednesday, March 9, 2011

My Pop Culture. Aquinas and the Caribbean.

There are many cultures intertwined in America making it quite easy to find many different philosophical viewpoints everywhere and anywhere. I find myself at a point where I cannot just base these philosophical ideas and thoughts of these great philosophers to just American pop culture when in all actuality American pop culture has incorporated many different cultural backgrounds from all over the world into its own kind of “melting pot.” Being a person with a strong Caribbean background, I can relate philosophy to not just American pop culture, but to my culture as well…which I consider to be my complete pop culture. Best of both worlds? I think so!  
There are many Caribbean artists that incorporate many of these philosophical ideas we discuss in class into their work, especially the thoughts and ideas of Thomas Aquinas. In particular, Buju Banton, a reggae singer, integrates Thomas Aquinas’ beliefs on the contemplation of truth and man’s happiness into his song “Till I’m Laid to Rest.” For example, Thomas Aquinas believes that “man’s highest perfection cannot lie in that which link him with lesser things, but rather in what links him to some higher thing… (pg. 272).” Buju Banton believes the same thing when he states in his song, “Some save a bag of riches, yet they die empty hand. Go on saying I’m stupid and laugh all you can. Easier for a caller to go through a needle eye than a rich man to enter a Zion. Take it from I man.” In other words, Buju Banton is saying that materialistic things only last the physical lifetime, so dwelling on these items will do no good because they do not bring you unconditional happiness or a pass into heaven, but a life of an unquenched soul and thirst for salvation. When Buju Banton contemplates on this, it brings him closer to God, for reason and contemplation is man’s activity that separates man from beast which grants man the possibility to understand and love God which leads to an end of true happiness. Also, Buju Banton realizes in his song that he must use the tool that separates man from beast to understand that knowledge helps to bring him closer to enlightenment. He realizes this when he says, “I’m in bondage, living is mess. I’ve got to rise up alleviate the stress. No longer will I expose my weakness, he who seeks knowledge begins with humbleness. Work 7 to 7 but I’m still penniless. All the food upon my table Massa God bless. Holler for the needy and shelter less. Ethiopia awaits me prince and princess.” His weakness that he will no longer expose is pain and pleasure which keeps him bound to the earthly world. Also, rising up against his pain and pleasure (his weakness) will help ease the burden of his ignorance of the Lord. He thanks God for all that has been done for him and prays that God would look out for those who are not as fortunate as him.
This may not be strictly American pop culture, but it is my culture and I cannot forget that. Reflection in all aspects of my life is very important. This is my pop culture, a first generation American with a strong Caribbean background.

The first video is of the song mentioned in this post "Till Im Laid to Rest," and the second video is a song called "No Other Like Jah" by Sizzla, another Caribbean artist who's song incorporates Aquinas's thoughts as well as the past philosophers already studied in this class.


No comments:

Post a Comment